A housekeeper needs to possess the right set of skills and qualities to do a good job. You shouldn’t just hire a housekeeper since they have great cleaning and organizing skills. You should look out for other qualities as well. Hiring a professional housekeeper is as easy as searching “cleaning services near me” on the internet. To hire the right candidate, you should look for the following skills and qualities that make a great housekeeper:
- Communication – Housekeepers need to communicate with you and your guests every day. They may also need to take care of small chores and help with additional requests like setting up the guest bedroom and putting personal items like soap, towels, and tissues in the right place.
During additional requests, you may cross the boundaries of responsibilities that are handled by a housekeeper. This is a mistake that is bound to happen since most people aren’t familiar with the responsibilities usually handled by a housekeeper. That’s why the housekeeper should have the right communication skills to deny any over-the-top request without coming off as rude.
You can also learn more about the scope of responsibilities of a housekeeper and be prepared to pay more for additional requests that need a bit more elbow grease. For instance, a housekeeper isn’t supposed to reach tall heights to clean structures or service your appliances. If you want them to take care of that job, you should pay them more than the usual service fee.
- Organization – A housekeeper needs to have very good organizational skills to9 keep your home clean. Great housekeepers can get rid of the clutter and arrange everything in an orderly fashion. Your home looks nice and tidy enough for you to invite guests over anytime.
The organizational skills also make the housekeeper quick at folding towels, arranging clothes in the closet, and putting things in the right place. The organizational skills of a great housekeeper make the room look more symmetrical and geometrically pleasing enough for everyone to feel welcomed and comfortable.
- Laundry skills – Housekeepers are expected to do your laundry and a great housekeeper would have some serious laundry skills. That means they can wash and iron many items of clothing, sheets, and fabrics efficiently. They are also trained to handle delicate fabric with extra care and use the right softeners.
Your housekeeper needs to have this skill so that they don’t damage your expensive clothes and fabric. They should be able to transfer the load from the washer to the dryer and fold them at the end without mixing dark and light shades.
- Listening and observation skills – A great housekeeper needs to have excellent listening and observation skills so that they can quickly understand directions given to them. For instance, if you want your housekeeper to remind a family member about their meds in your absence, the housekeeper needs to follow the instructions as-is.
Moreover, these instructions are usually detailed, and a great housekeeper will carefully note down the meds and serve the pills at the right time so that mistakes can be avoided. A great housekeeper would also know when to ask the right questions to get more clarity on the given directions.
- Caring – You want a housekeeper that treats your home the same way you do. A great housekeeper needs to be meticulous with their duties and careful around your belongings. Your housekeeper is going to touch almost every room and everything in it. From your bedsheets to the antique lamp from your grandparent.
You need them to handle your things with care and be dedicated to their craft. If a housekeeper isn’t responsible and caring, you may end up paying a lot for emotional and financial expenses.
- Attention to detail – A housekeeper who pays a lot of attention would be particular about little details and get your home looking exactly the way you want at the end of it. Your housekeeper should be able to process your instructions and execute them the way you want.
For instance, if you have a special set of cleaning supplies to clean the countertop and baseboards, your housekeeper should be able to take that instruction and execute the job perfectly. A housekeeper who isn’t attention-oriented would use the generic detergent under the kitchen sink.
A housekeeper that pays attention to details will always deliver you a better quality of service. They’ll know what they need to do and things they should avoid.
- Professional skills – A professional housekeeper has more skills than just operating a vacuuming cleaner or running the mop across the floor. They have their list of best products and cleaning supplies and would recommend the same if necessary.
If they are experienced enough, they will also have a few hacks up their sleeves to get rid of pesky stains that you won’t be able to remove after several washes. They will also know how to clean the oven and make the right use of all kinds of cleaning tools available to them.
- Hardworking – The housekeeping job is difficult. Otherwise, you wouldn’t mind saving your money by shedding a few drops of sweat. Your housekeeper should be hardworking so that they can do the job they were hired to do. You don’t want to pay someone to watch television and socialize with you. You paid for a clean house, and you should get one after parting with your money.
- Honesty – As mentioned above, your housekeeper works in your personal space and comes in contact with your personal belongings. That’s why they should be honest and trustworthy. An honest and trustworthy person will also show professional behavior and admit their mistakes if they break a glass or damage a piece of clothing. You want to hire someone like that so that you don’t regret your decision.
Now that you know about the housekeeping skills of a great housekeeper, you can identify the right candidate for your home. Make sure that you assess their qualities and get the perfect housekeeper even if you have to spend a bit more. You can hire one by searching for “cleaning services near me.